Wireless Set No. 48 accessories
Generator, Hand, 10 Watts, Mk.II in operating position.
In this page most of the accessories for British Wireless Set No. 48 are listed.
One of the interesting items is the Generator Hand 10 Watts Mk.II.
This hand-operated generator was developed in the USA for powering Wireless Set No. 48 when a dry battery was not available in static field use.
It could also be used with British Wireless Sets No. 18 and No. 68.
Note that the general layout of this hand-operated generator unit is similar to the generators issued with USA Signal Corps field radio sets e.g. BC-1306, AN/GRC9, etc.
For Wireless Set No. 48 the GENERATOR-BATTERIES switch on the receiver front panel must be set to the appropriate position.
(Go to the Wireless Set No. 48 page for the front panel view of the No. 48 set).
In addition, the output of the generator should be set by means of a switch marked '48' and '18', according the wireless set in use.
- Wireless Set No. 48 was manufactured in the USA during WW2, ordered by the British Supply Mission as an alternative production to Wireless Set No. 18.
- Under normal conditions the No. 48 Set was powered by a dry battery pack which was fitted inside the set.
- For technical details of Wireless Set No. 48 see the Wireless sets page.
- Generator Hand 10 Watts provided 3V LT, 150V HT and 12V relay voltage/GB voltage.
- Hand cranking speed is 50-70 revolutions per minute.
- The two removable straight legs (LG-3) and removable leg with folding seat (LG-2-A) are identical as used with many other USA manufactured hand-operated generator units.
Detailed close up of Generator, Hand, 10 Watts. Note switch marked for No. 48 Set and No. 18 Set.
Morse key for Wireless Set No. 48. This is principally a standard flame proof key with transmit/receive switch fitted on top
mounted on a Paxolin plate. The assembly is designed to be placed on the operator's leg and fastened by means of the canvas web straps provided.
Close up view of No. 48 Set Morse key showing transmit/receive switch and tension adjuster.
Hand microphone T-17 as used with Wireless Set No. 48.
Spare Valves Case for Wireless Set No. 48.
Contents of Spare Valves Case for Wireless Set No. 48.
RETURN to Gallery
Wireless for the Warrior